As South Africa adjusts to the pandemic shock, Moody's analysts and our guest keynote speaker Elina Ribakova, Deputy Chief Economist, Institute of International Finance discussed how covid-19 will affect the public and private sectors and its dampening impact on economic activity and public finances.
13:00 Opening Remarks and Introductions
Matt Robinson, Associate Managing Director, Sovereign Risk Group
13:05 Spotlight on South Africa amid continuing pressures for Emerging Markets
Keynote interview with Elina Ribakova, Deputy Chief Economist, Institute of International Finance alongside
Lucie Villa, Vice President – Senior Credit Officer, Sovereign Risk Group.
Moderator: Marie Diron, Managing Director, Sovereign Risk Group
• How will South Africa and Emerging Market economies fare in a post COVID-19 world?
• What will be the long-lasting impact of the crisis on South Africa: government debt levels, monetary policy, capital flows?
13:30 Will there be an ever more indebted public sector?
• What are the prospects for public sector deleveraging and ultimately improving operational effectiveness and performance?
• How much support can the sector provide to the economic recovery?
Moderator: Matt Robinson, Associate Managing Director, Sovereign Risk Group
Joanna Fic, Senior Vice President, Infrastructure Finance Group
Daniel Mazibuko, Associate Lead Analyst, Sub - Sovereign Group
Lucie Villa, Vice President – Senior Credit Officer, Sovereign Risk Group
14:00 What is the route out for the private sector?
• Contrasting Moody’s views on how banks, corporates, insurers and structured transactions are coping with the fallout from the pandemic
• Discussing the outlook for funding, liquidity and profitability for key sectors
Moderator: Sean Marion, Managing Director, Financial Institutions Group
Rehan Akbar, Vice President – Senior Credit Officer, Corporate Finance Group
Gabriele Gramazio, Assistant Vice President – Analyst, Structured Finance Group
Constantinos Kypreos, Senior Vice President, Financial Institutions Group
Dominic Simpson, Vice President - Senior Credit Officer, Financial Institutions Group
14:30 End of webinar