Moody's will host a monthly webinar to discuss the impact of COVID-19 on the US Housing & Housing Finance sector.
We hosted a webinar on September 23 to discuss the next chapter of Housing. This was a 90 minute session with two panel discussions. Details on the sessions can be found below. Agenda:
1:30 PM - Panel I:
As with most sectors of the US economy, US housing seized up at the onset of the coronavirus pandemic, only for conditions to begin evolving even before “stay at home” orders lifted. Signs of recovery soon followed, but also evidence that at least some Americans have been making changes in where they want to live in the years ahead that could have long-term implications. Will these trends hold over the next few years and further into the post-COVID future? What will the steep economic downturn mean for housing markets, homeowners, landlords and renters?
- Surprising recent housing trends
- A flight to the suburbs?
- Fallout from economic wounds
- Secular tailwinds and headwinds
- Anne Van Praagh, Managing Director, Global Strategy and Research, Moody’s Investors Service (Moderator)
- John Burns, Chief Executive Officer, John Burns Real Estate Consulting
- Alanna McCargo, Vice President for Housing Finance Policy, Urban Institute
- Mark Zandi, Chief Economist, Moody's Analytics
2:10 PM - Panel II
Are cities dead? We don’t think so, but whether their housing markets will recover post-pandemic will depend in part on decisions by local governments facing budget strains and employers with offices weighing the future of remote working, as well as demographic and economic trends. Even if the attraction of US major cities will likely endure, fallout from the pandemic will leave the suburbs and more affordable housing options in a stronger position on a relative basis.
- Features of housing’s likely path in years ahead
- Choices ahead for state and local governments
- Evolving conditions in the office market
- Homebuilders’ fate in the new environment
- Luisa De Gaetano, Associate Managing Director, RMBS, Moody’s Investors Service (Moderator)
- Kevin Fagan, Vice President-Senior Credit Officer, CMBS, Moody's Investors Service
- Natalia Gluschuk, Vice President - Senior Analyst, Homebuilders, Moody’s Investors Service
- Jody Shenn, Vice President - Senior Analyst, Structured Finance, Moody’s Investors Service
- Marcia Van Wagner, Vice President - Senior Credit Officer, States, Moody’s Investors Service
Please register to access the replay & Slides from the Thank you page.